We use a professional grade fire ant bait(Advion Fire Ant Bait) that works very well and very quickly. The active ingredient is indoxacarb which is synthetic, but very low in toxicity, even to aquatic…Read More
Ant Pest Control
Small ants can be a nuisance when they come indoors. Some varieties can infest the inside of the home and others may come in to forage for food and water and then return to exterior nests. There are thousands of varieties; generally small indoor ants are treated with either a spray or with a bait.
The primary treatment for small indoor ants is to bait. For some species, we may treat around the exterior perimeter as well to keep them from coming in. These ants can range in size from very tiny to small and are found on counters more often than the floor.
Ants that enter on the floor are generally fire ants; although if there is pet food around, other ants will be attracted.
Below is a list of things you can do around the house to help control these ants.
Keep your home clean. Clean up spilled foods and beverages and store foods in tightly sealed containers.
- If insects are producing honeydew on plants close to the house, control them. Ants are attracted to honeydew.
- Repair dripping faucets and other plumbing leaks.
- Replace wet or rotten wood.
- Move mulch and landscape rocks away from the bottom of the foundation. Mulch and rocks keep the soil moist, which attracts ants.
- Caulk cracks and crevices. Replace worn weather stripping around doors and windows. • Remove dense vegetation next to the house.
- Remove ivy that grows on walls.
- Clean out rain gutters. Ants may nest in gutters clogged with decomposing leaves and other debris.
- Store firewood away from the house.
- Trim tree limbs away from the roof and house. Ants may use them as bridges to gain access.
- Before you bring firewood or potted plants into the house, be sure they are not infested with ants.